Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Social Butterfly

who'd a thunk? Me a socialite! ha, I laugh at this. But, no, it is true, the last couple weeks I have been very social, you all would be so proud! a couple nights ago I organized a screening of Drop Dead Diva and Army Wives with pretty good success. Today I organized a lunch that also worked out well and had a friend over for some good ole John Adams! Now, this seems maybe normal to most folk, they have friends, they hang out with these friends, but not for me. I didn't have a friend in college until late and we did get together a couple of times. I was very grateful for her because without her I'd have left IU with having made no real friends, sigh. I mean I had a roommate freshman year, yes, I lived with someone and we never even talked. We got along, didn't fight or anything, but we weren't friends, weird I think, but that's just how I am I guess. Maybe it's because Army wives just get it, they know you don't have forever to build this friendship so you need to just dive into it because you will want these people when the boys are gone, and during the day when they are here or if you have questions about stuff. I have also learned that Army wives don't let you down. I have tried organizing things with "friends" in the past, but they either don't give a straight answer, like they'll say "might" a lot, or they just flake out and don't see it as a big deal. But, army wives have been different, if I say, hey we should have lunch, the next response is something like, "well, I'm free tomorrow" instead of "yeah we should" That's what i've needed apparently, people to just take initiative. I am so happy I have found some people who do. I hope no matter what base I end up at I can find friends like these. It's funny, some of these ladies I've only met twice yet, I can call them friends, there are people I know for years that I don't feel comfortable using that word.

These last couple weeks have taught me one thing for sure. I think I may have been able to handle staying in washington for the deployment. Yes, it would have been hard at times, but I think I could have done it. I am glad I went home, and we now have a freakin awesome house so, I'm not complaining. Well, that's all for now!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you've enjoyed your time since you've been back! Flakes definitely suck, and I've experienced my fair share -- not as much in the Army though, you're right. We're a different breed aren't we? ;) Army wives stick together.

    Just think...if you guys deal with another deployment, you'll be that vet that can encourage the young wives and remind them that it's very doable to stay put if they're debating. :)

    By the way, the new house is awesome and I gotta say...I'm a bit jealous, HA! New is so fun though! And COLOR....oh how nice a colored wall is in a home, ha. :)

    ReplyDelete